- This event has passed.
Rigging & Rescue
July 15 @ 9:00 am - July 16 @ 5:00 pm MDT
Instructor: Rich Carlson
When the Totem was first introduced I offered one-day Totem workshops for $95 and included a Totem in the price. Making a similar offer now with the CRT HauLine and Rescue Kit Bag, both included in the workshop price. Combined retail value; $140.
This workshop is designed to take your rigging and rescue skills up a few more notches to overcome progressively more difficult challenges encountered in canyons, while exploring multiple uses of the CRT HauLine.
Topics covered in the workshop:
- multiple ways to rig a traverse safety line
- linking two anchor bolts using supplemental anchor system
- creating a set of fours “on the fly” with lightweight multi-purpose gear
- simple, compound and complex mechanical advantage
- converting static rigging to lower
- simplified pick off rescue
- partner rescue from tail-up rigging (toggles)
- partner rescue with drop loop lifts
- pig rig tensioning systems for guidelines
- tips and tricks from Rich’s 40+ years canyoneering
Included in workshop fee, $75 retail value. The CRT HauLine is custom-made for Canyons & Crags by BlueWater Ropes. 36 feet x 7.5 mm with hybrid Technora/polyester sheath and nylon core with sewn eye termination on one end. Tensile strength 4400 lbf. Fits in main compartment of Rescue Kit Bag for easy deployment.
Rescue Kit Bag
Included in workshop fee, $65 retail value. The Rescue Kit Bag is manufactured by Gear Perspective as a collaborative project with Canyons & Crags. Also sold as the Guide Pouch, it is a multipurpose pouch to keep critical gear accessible at important times during technical adventures. The Guide Pouch is designed to function as a rescue kit, pull cord bag, anchor kit or a first aid kit. The four compartments can be used and combined in a variety of ways for a variety of other tasks. Small rope bag, navigation bag, camera bag, possibilities are unlimited.
- rappel/belay device
- 5-6 locking carabiners, HMS (pear shape) preferred
- 7mm VT Prusik
- Micro Traxion (or similar)
If you have additional gear, feel free to bring it, but it is not necessary to purchase anything special for the workshop, other than what is listed above. Additional gear will be available for you to borrow, try and purchase during the course.
Workshop Fee: $335
Canyoneering Karma Passport holders: $235
REGISTRATION: Buy your ticket(s) here on this page. If you have a Canyoneering Karma Passport, the $235 ticket price is your payment in full. If you do not have a Passport, the $100 balance will be due on or before the first day of the workshop.
Canyoneering Karma Passports are available HERE