Canyon Leadership – Salt Lake City
December 12 @ 6:00 pm - December 13 @ 9:30 pm MST
You don’t have to be an aspiring pro guide or even an aspiring recreational leader to benefit from this workshop. Improve the overall safety, efficiency and enjoyment of your adventures with the principles and practices you will learn in this fun, interactive classroom event, presented in two evening sessions.
Tuesday Evening, 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM Part 1 will focus on group dynamics and problem solving. Wednesday Evening, 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM Part 2 will focus on risk assessment and site management.
Topics covered will include:
- problem-solving and decision-making methodologies
- recognizing and avoiding heuristic traps
- group dynamics and experiential facilitation
- situational adaptation of leadership styles
- identifying objective and subjective hazards
- a simple risk assessment process
- site management and transitional safety systems
- efficient group movement through technical problems
- tips and tricks from Rich’s 40+ years canyoneering
ABOUT YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Rich has been teaching technical rope skills professionally since 1990. He is the founder of the American Canyoneering Association and of Canyon Guides International. In additional to training hundreds of professional canyon guides around he world, he has also served as senior instructor for an Army Officer Candidate School, facilitated military leadership reaction courses. and conducted team building programs for many major corporations including American Express, Allied Signal Aerospace, AT&T, Boeing, Citicorp, Dial, Hewlett Packard, Intel, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft, Procter & Gamble and Verizon.