- This event has passed.
Mechanical Advantage – Salt Lake City
December 14, 2023 @ 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm MST
In this classroom workshop you will increase your understanding of mechanical advantage and its applications. Not just for rescue; you will learn practical applications for tensioning rope systems and how mechanical advantage can either increase or decrease the loads we put on our anchors.
Topics covered will include:
- simple, compound and complex mechanical advantage
- the difference between theoretical and actual mechanical advantage
- understanding the T method for calculating mechanical advantage
- when friction works for us and when it works against us
- simple math to understand the affect of mechanical advantage on an anchor
- how to create an improvised progress capture device
- how to rig a piggy back “set of fours” on the fly
- simple progressions when more mechanical advantage is needed
- improvisation with gear you already carry