ART-2 Advanced Canyoneering • Cedar City UT
March 30 - March 31
INSTRUCTOR: ADOLFO ISASSI
In this intermediate-advanced course you will gain knowledge and competence with anchors, rigging and rescue systems while honing your personal rappelling, ascending and problem-solving skills to enable you to become a contributing member of a team descending intermediate to advanced canyons, up to and including Class 4.
MAXIMUM SIX (6) STUDENTS
Topics covered include:
- construct and use deadman and cairn anchors
- establish and use multi-point knot chock and chock stone anchors
- rig and use releasable twin rope releasable contingency systems
- rig and use dynamic courtesy rigging for difficult rappel starts
- rappel-lower combo systems for efficient movement through problems
- rig and use retrievable safety line for horizontal traverses
- rig and use retrievable safety line with prusiks for semi-steep terrain
- rig and use a tensioned diagonal rope for guided rappel and guided lower
- load shift rescue from releasable contingency rigging
- short lift rescues using 1:1 mechanical advantage, then converted to 3:1
- short lift rescues using 2:1 mechanical advantage, then converted to 6:1
- converting single static rigging to lower
- securing two strands of rope at the anchor when ends are uneven
- performing buddy rappels; assisted rappel, tandem rappel, simul-rappel
- improvised patient carries
- rappel/belay device
- 5-6 locking carabiners, HMS (pear shape) preferred
If you have additional gear, feel free to bring it, but it is not necessary to purchase anything special for the course, other than what is listed above. Additional gear will be available for you to borrow, try and purchase during the course.
This is a Hybrid Course
This course includes online training material. Virtual meetings with your instructor will be available to you before and after the hands-on training days. In addition, you and other students in this course will become part of a private online group for ongoing consultation with the instructor.
NOTE: Course location will be dependent on weather. If temperatures in Cedar City are low, the course will be held in St. George UT instead.
Course Fee: $395
REGISTRATION: 50% Deposit required; balance due on or before the first day of the course.
Canyoneering Karma Passports are available HERE