Our Rappel Master training program provides participants with current knowledge and fundamentals to manage and supervise non-tactical rappel operations and to lead technical outdoor adventures, especially focusing on canyoneering. It is designed for individuals whose occupations require rappelling, for those who are in charge of rappel training, and for anyone interested in taking their rappelling and outdoor leadership skills up to a higher level.
The program is ideal for canyoneers and other practitioners of adventure-based and experiential education. Participants will have opportunities to enhance and hone skills, experience personal growth and develop leadership abilities.
Topics covered include:
• problem-solving and decision-making methodologies, avoiding heuristic traps
• group dynamics and facilitation, situational adaptation of leadership styles
• importance of both objective (technical) and subjective (human) leadership skills
• hazard identification, risk assessment and management
• site management and transition safety systems
• teaching principles and strategies
• planning and presenting effective safety briefings
Required items to bring to class:
• Helmet (meets UIAA standards)
• 3-5 Locking Carabiners (HMS, pear-shape preferred)
NOTE: Extra gear will be available for use and purchase during the workshop. 10% discount offered on gear.
We will spend the majority of our time outdoors. Please be prepared each day with 2-3 liters of water, lunch and snacks, appropriate clothing for anticipated weather, sturdy footwear, personal comfort items and a pack to carry your gear.