Canyoneering Academy Workshops
Typical canyoneering courses are offered in a series of “levels” with each level covering the same topics in progressively increasing detail. The Canyoneering Academy series of workshops is offered in focused modules that cover each topic in much greater depth from basic concepts through advanced applications.
Workshops in the series are ideal for those who have already acquired some experience who are looking for a fast-track opportunity to achieve mastery of specific skill sets.
The Canyon Rescue workshop focuses on companion rescue, quick access to an injured or stranded patient/group from above or below, providing escape assistance and applying specialized rescue techniques in situations that do not require a litter. Students are challenged by scenarios that test rigging skills and expand problem-solving capabilities.
Topics covered will include:
- risk assessment and management
- selecting and using multi-purpose gear; adopting light-weight ropes and gear for technical rescue
- physics principals in rigging and rescue
- how mechanical advantage and friction affect selection of rescue techniques
- simple, compound and complex mechanical advantage pulley systems
- simple lifts, shifts and lowers; converting static rigging to lowering
- tensioned twin rope systems for lowering and raising
- guide ropes and tag lines for rappelling, lowering and raising
- tensioned twin skate block systems for raising
- diminishing loop ascending system for raising
- improvised patient carry systems