- This event has passed.
Canyon Rescue • Costa Rica
February 19 - February 22
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Instructors: Rich Carlson and Mauricio Odio
Are you ready to take your rescue skills up a few more notches? If yes, this intense workshop is for you. Training will focus on safe and efficient rigging for self-rescue, partner rescue and group emergencies using lightweight multi-purpose gear. This workshop was designed primarily to meet the needs of recreational canyoneers, but also forms the foundation for those planning to pursue canyon leader/guide or canyon rescue technician training.
Topics covered in the workshop include:
- planning for contingencies, pre-rigging for rescue
- rapid access techniques for rescuers
- situational application of various types of belay
- expedient anchor systems for rescue
- lifts, shifts and lowers for rescue
- converting static rappel rigging to lower
- simple, compound and complex mechanical advantage
- tandem ascending and mid-rope lowers
- tandem rappels and lowers
- single rope and twin rope pick-offs
- balancier pick-off on tensioned rope
- counter-balance techniques for rappelling and rescue
- improvised high directionals
- track lines and skate blocks for raising and lowering
- improvised patient carries
- tips and tricks from Rich’s 40+ years canyoneering
Students are encouraged to watch the instructional videos on Rich’s Canyons & Crags YouTube Channel prior to attending the workshop.
- solid aptitude for knots and rope work
- solid rappelling skills, including ability to lock-off mid-rappel
- rappel/belay device
- 5-6 locking carabiners, HMS (pear shape) preferred
If you have additional gear, feel free to bring it, but it is not necessary to purchase anything special for the course, other than what is listed above. Additional gear will be available for you to borrow, try and purchase during the course.