SATURDAY-SUNDAY • 8-9 AUGUST 2020
Instructor: Rich Carlson
Workshop Fee: $180
$120 Deposit required with registration. Balance due on the first day of the workshop. $60 Discount for individuals who acquired a Canyoneering Karma Passport prior to 15 June 2020. To receive the discount you must bring your passport with you to the workshop with all information entered and up-to-date.
This 2-day Land Navigation Workshop is designed for the serious outdoors person. It consists of classroom instruction and overland movement. Students will learn to use a topographic map, compass and GPS.
Topics will include:
- Understanding map symbols and information
- Reading contour lines to get a 3D view of the terrain
- Measuring distance on a map
- Understanding the differences between True North, Grid North and Magnetic North
- Using a protractor to plot bearings and triangulate position on a map
- Using a topographic map and terrain association for navigation without other tools
- Understanding UTM and Latitude-Longitude grid systems on a map
- How to orient a map with a compass
- Route planning
- Following a compass bearing while hiking
- Using GPS to determine location grid coordinates and plotting the location on a map
- Using pace and terrain association to arrive at a destination
- Dead reckoning
- Plus other tips and tricks to build your confidence while navigating through the wilderness
About Your Instructor
Rich is best known as a rope skills instructor, but began his career teaching land navigation in the military. He received several accommodations as an instructor and was a lead member of several first-place winning orienteering teams.
Over the next three and a half decades his students included individuals, park rangers, law enforcement, professional guides and search and rescue teams.