Techniques on Rope
February 18 - February 19
Instructor: Rich Carlson
Gain knowledge and competence by honing your personal rappelling, ascending and problem-solving skills. This intermediate-advanced level course is designed to take your knowledge and skills up a few more notches to overcome progressively more difficult challenges encountered in canyons. This course was designed primarily to meet the needs of intermediate-advanced recreational canyoneers, but also forms the foundation for those planning to pursue canyon leader/guide or canyon rescue training.
Topics covered in the course include:
- the importance of system safety checks
- knots, bends and hitches
- belays, lowering and hand lines
- using friction and sequencing to utilize marginal anchors
- static rigging vs releasable contingency rigging
- rope deployment, coiling and rope bag use
- rappelling techniques and on-rope skills
- adjusting friction pre-rappel and mid-rappel
- locking off while rappelling
- dealing with difficult rappel starts
- pass a knot while rappelling
- ascend fixed rope from ground up
- transition from rappel to ascend and from ascend to rappel
- clipping short, pass a knot while ascending
- proper techniques for multi-pitch rappels
- rig and use lower-rappel combo rigging to avoid knot-passing
- correct uneven ropes when rappelling double strand
- rappel/belay device
- 5-6 locking carabiners, HMS (pear shape) preferred
If you have additional gear, feel free to bring it, but it is not necessary to purchase anything special for the course, other than what is listed above. Additional gear will be available for you to borrow, try and purchase during the course.
This is a Hybrid Course
This course includes online training material. Virtual meetings with your instructor will be available to you before and after the hands-on training days. In addition, you and other students in this course will become part of a private online group for ongoing consultation with the instructor.
Course Fee: $395
Canyoneering Karma Passport holders: $145
REGISTRATION: Buy your ticket(s) here on this page. If you have a Canyoneering Karma Passport, the $145 ticket price is your payment in full. If you do not have a Passport, the $250 balance will be due on or before the first day of the course.
Canyoneering Karma Passports are available HERE