- This event has passed.
ART2 – Technical Canyoneering
August 28 @ 9:00 am – August 29 @ 5:00 pm MDT
ART of Canyoneering 2 – Technical Canyoneering. Gain knowledge and competence with anchors, rigging and rescue systems while honing your personal rappelling, ascending and problem-solving skills.
Topics covered will include:
- how to efficiently tie knots, bends and hitches and their appropriate use in various applications
- natural, artificial and transient anchors
- using friction and sequencing to mitigate risks with marginal anchors
- understanding how mechanical advantage and friction affect anchor loads
- situational application of various belay systems
- rigging retrievable safety lines and running belays
- rigging and using retrievable guide ropes for rappellng and lowering
- using static and dynamic courtesy rigging for difficult rappel starts
- passing a knot while rappelling
- transitioning from rappelling to ascending mid-rope
- risk assessment, site management and problem-solving strategies
- tips and tricks from Rich’s 40+ years playing and working on rope
ART of Canyoneerging goes far beyond memorization of basic systems. You will learn to rely on knowledge and skills rather than the latest hardware, along with improv methods to accomplish your mission with minimal lightweight gear.
PREREQUISITES: (1) solid aptitude for knots and rope work, and (2) solid rappelling skills, including ability to lock off mid-rappel.
- descent/belay device
- 6-8 locking carabiners (HMS, pear-shape preferred)
- Dyneema sling, minimum 48 inches (72 inches or longer preferred)
- VT Prusik, 8mm or 7mm
SUGGESTED GEAR, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- ascending device (e.g. Croll, Tibloc)
- Micro Traxion
Gear will be available during the course for you to try and purchase.
Canyoneering Karma Membership is a one-time investment of $295 for a lifetime of access. With your membership you will receive a substantial discount on this course, plus future access to online courses and other learning resources. See details on the Membership page of our website.