March 20 - March 22
Location: Prairie Fire Training Site, Pahrump Nevada, a one-hour drive from Las Vegas International Airport
Instructors: Rich Carlson & Shannon Long
Do you work or recreate in vertical environments? Are you ready to take your rappelling and rescue skills up a few more notches? If yes, this intense 24-hour workshop is for you.
You will learn the skills necessary to perform efficient self-rescue and partner rescues, as well as how to assist with group emergencies, utilizing lightweight multi-purpose gear.
Topics covered in the workshop include:
- Rescuing a victim by lowering from the anchor position
- Accessing a victim from the top
- Accessing a victim from the bottom
- Descending with a victim
Skills and techniques covered in the workshop include:
- planning for contingencies, pre-rigging for rescue
- rapid access techniques for rescuers
- passing a knot while on rappel
- transitioning from rappelling to ascending
- transitioning from ascending to rappelling
- situational application of various types of belay
- expedient anchor systems for rescue
- lifts, shifts and lowers for rescue
- converting static rappel rigging to lower
- tandem rappels
- team-based tandem lowers
- single rope and twin rope pick-offs
- balancier pick-off on tensioned rope
- counter-balance techniques for rappelling and rescue
Students are encouraged to watch the following instructional videos on Rich’s Canyons & Crags YouTube Channel prior to attending the workshop:
- solid aptitude for knots and rope work
- solid rappelling skills, including ability to lock-off mid-rappel
- rappel/belay device
- 5-6 locking carabiners, HMS (pear shape) preferred
If you have additional gear, feel free to bring it, but it is not necessary to purchase anything special for the course, other than what is listed above. Additional gear will be available for you to borrow, try and purchase during the course.
Workshop Fee: $495
A $200 deposit is required with your registration. Balance will be due on or before the first day of the workshop. Use the ticket feature below to pay your deposit.
Custom Training Available
If your agency needs on-site training or has specific requirements for your jurisdiction, please Contact Us to discuss your needs.