Welcome to the awe-inspiring adventure sport called canyoneering – a sport that combines hiking, wading, swimming, rock climbing and rappelling – often over waterfalls. Not only are the activities exciting, canyoneering will take you to some of the most amazingly beautiful places on earth.
This workshop is designed to get beginners started safety. It is ideal for anyone who wants to get their first taste, as well as for those who have already been down a few canyons and now want some formal information and instruction to become more self-reliant.
Topics covered will include:
- canyon rating systems
- trip planning and logistics
- basic meteorology and flash flood awareness
- gear selection and proper use
- basic knots, anchors and rigging for easy canyons
- rappelling, locking off on rappel, simple self-rescue
- down-climbing, spotting, partner captures, and belays