Notifications
Clear all

WTF Wednesday: SRT Bad Practice  

RSS

Canyons and Crags
(@canyons-and-crags)
Member Admin
27/06/2020 7:44 am  

Another “WTF Wednesday” segment from contributor, Adolfo Isassi. 

When you rig SRT and only one strand of rope is secure, how many strands of rope should be hanging down the wall? The answer should be obvious, but it isn’t to everyone.

More discussion on ART of RopeWork Facebook Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ARTofRopeWork/permalink/2108779102776569/

Rich Carlson
Instructor and Adventure Travel Addict

Canyons and Crags
(@canyons-and-crags)
Member Admin
27/06/2020 8:14 am  

I have been teaching in Mexico for the past month. Had a conversation with a student a couple days ago about static blocks. Went something like this:

Student: “How do you protect the other side of the rope in case somebody tries to rappel on it?”

Me: “If only one strand of rope is secure only one strand of rope should be hanging down the wall.”

Student: “Yeah, but what if there are two strands of rope hanging down the wall.”

Me: “If only one strand of rope is secure only one strand of rope should be hanging down the wall.”

Student: “Yeah, I understand that, but let’s just say there are two strands of rope hanging down the wall. How can you protect the other strand if you are using a static block to protect the first side?”

Me: “If only one strand of rope is secure only one strand of rope should be hanging down the wall ... You should not be using a static block. Static blocks are for single rope technique. If you want two ropes hanging down the wall make sure both of them are secured with a twin rope system like stone knot, stone 8, joker or jester.”

Student: “Yeah, but what if you set up a static block for one rope but then you decided to throw down the other side of the rope, too?”

Can anyone guess what I told him next?

Rich Carlson
Instructor and Adventure Travel Addict

ReplyQuote
Share: